With over 500 line connections to and from more than 1,000 ports around the globe, the Port of Rotterdam in The Netherlands is the cornerstone of international freight transport. It is the perfect base for import and export and a gateway to the European market and its more than 500 million consumers. However, this favourable location has one downside, namely siltation. Therefore, hydrographic surveys are conducted on a daily basis in the Port of Rotterdam using a survey programme based on siltation rates, dredging operations, port operations and client requests.
Facts & figures about the Port of Rotterdam:
• Port area: 12,500ha (land and water, of which approx. 6,000ha are business sites).
• Length of port area: over 40km.
• Employment: 180,000 jobs.
• Throughput: approximately 450 million tonnes of cargo per year.
• Shipping: approximately 30,000 sea-going vessels and 110,000 inland vessels per year.
• Added value: (direct and indirect) over EUR21 billion; 3.5% of GNP
Read full article here.